Two weeks ago, Democrats were outraged when Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin ended Virginia's school mask mandate. This week, the MSM praised, or at least remained mum, when Democrat governors lifted similar mandates in their states.
- New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Oregon are dropping school mask mandates
- Oregon, New York, Rhode Island, Illinois, Delaware, Nevada, and California are dropping indoor mask mandates.
- Boston and the Twin Cities are dropping their vaccine mandates.
An example of the drastic change:
- Jan. 25: ‘In his first 10 days, he’s gone backwards towards Trump’: Experts discuss Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin banning school districts from requiring masks
- Feb. 7: ‘This is the right step’: New Jersey governor lifts mask mandate for schools and day cares starting March 7
Leana Wen, CNN Medical Contributor and advisor:
- Less than five months ago, Wen claimed that masks offer a “powerful layer of protection,” and until every student is vaccinated, the U.S. is “nowhere near” removing masks. She believed that the unvaccinated were not “a protected class.”
- On Monday, Wen diverged from the CNN narrative and backed the removal of mandates, insisting “the science has changed.” She also now believes that the end of mandates is “a needed shift from the government-imposed requirement to an individual decision.”
Why the Sudden Change
Behind the curtains: On Jan. 31, governors from both political parties met with President Biden and asked for “clear guidelines” to “move away from the pandemic.”
- Following the meeting, Democratic governors changed their policies and the media changed their perspectives.
Fear of losing midterms: Recent polls have been devastating for democrats: Joe Biden’s approval rating is at an all-time low, nine out of the top 10 most popular governors are Republicans, and “seven in 10 adults across partisans say they are tired, frustrated” with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Increasing Protests: Democrats fear vaccine protests similar to the Canadian Freedom Convoy, which are currently being organized to head to D.C. Dispelling mandates would prevent Americans’ frustration from erupting.
What Has Not Changed
The Science: For months, dozens of studies have proven that masks are ineffective and may even do more harm than good. Yet, it has taken democrats two years to ease their restrictions.
- Democrats are removing masks despite COVID cases being higher compared to last year.
- The vaccine did not “stop prevention or transmission” with the omicron variant. This failure has finally discredited (and prompted the removal of) mask-or-vax policies in New York and Rhode Island. This has been known for months.
The Federal Government’s Stance: The Democrats’ new policies are contradicting the federal government’s: the White House is still recommending universal masking in schools.