As President Joe Biden's open-border agenda inches closer to reality, the border crisis reaches new levels of chaos.
The Crisis In Numbers
- Border crossings spiked by 28 percent in February to more than 100,400 people.
- Border apprehensions in January 2021 are up 200 percent when compared to January 2020.
- The number of unaccompanied children stopped along the border tripled in March. In February, the number reached the highest in our nation's history.
- CBP reported that since Inauguration Day, illegal border crossings have climbed to approximately 5 times what they were prior to Jan. 20, 2021.
- There are now a record 13,000 unaccompanied minors in Border Patrol detention cells.
Based off the some of these numbers, in many ways, the border crisis has never been this bad before. The crisis was non-existent under President Trump's last year in office, but materialized right after Biden's inauguration. Why?
Biden's Policies Caused the Crisis
- Biden eased immigration controls
- Biden stopped deportations
- Biden ended Trump's "wait in Mexico" policy for asylum-seekers
- Biden halted construction of the border wall
- Biden proposed mass amnesty for 11 million illegal immigrants
With this platform, there's great incentive for migrants to illegally enter the U.S. It would be historically easier, chances for deportation would be lower, and there would be a real possibility of citizenship. Migrants were waiting at the border for Biden's agenda to move forward.
Migrants Are Being Released Into Communities, Bringing Crime and COVID
Border officials are releasing migrants into Arizona's rural Yuma County. Small communities aren't able to deal with them, and are increasingly concerned.
“This is a national issue, not a Yuma issue,” Nicholls said. “There needs to be a national solution.” - Yuma Mayor Douglas Nicholls
- As Illegal Immigrants get released into the U.S., more than six percent are COVID positive.
- Custom and Border Protection agency confirmed that four people arrested at the Southern border since Oct 2020 matched theFBI's terrorist screening database.
- According to DHS, hundreds of migrants who were part of the U.S-bound caravans in 2019 had serious criminal convictions in the past.
Texas Is Fighting Back
On March 7, Texas launched Operation Lone Star to respond to the border crisis. Texas deployed the National Guard, DPS Officers, Marines, and tactical border security access.
Sources: NBC News, NPR, The Washington Examiner, US News